Thursday, September 6, 2012

Followup to Bare Escentuals

If you happened to notice, I started this blog strong back in January...and then did not post anything for about 8 months. So just to explain, I was beginning this attempt at a life-changing overhaul and experienced a mixture of complete frustration, laziness, and doubt that caused my temporary hiatus in writing. I was frustrated with my own obsession with consumerism, doubted whether my convictions would last, and at times wanted to scrap my whole idea and call it a day. 
However, I am happy to say that God's love is entirely too compelling and my life truly has changed these past 8 months. God has given me some moments of real joy and excitement along this journey and I have to share them.
Here's one of the first really cool events of this year:
After being completely disappointed by Bare Minerals'/Bare Escentuals' lack of ethical information on their website I wrote the company a brief letter. I explained I had been using and loving their products for years, but was surprised by their avoidance of the issues I mentioned in my previous post. I went on to say I would, sadly, no longer be buying or using their makeup until they addressed where their ingredients came from more clearly. A representative responded very quickly and assured me that the company only associates with upstanding suppliers and upholds the highest ethical standards. While I was very glad about the company's timely and encouraging answer, it just was not enough of a guarantee for me. (It seemed odd that Bare Escentuals claimed to uphold such high standards, and yet did not address the issue of human rights on their website when it is becoming a bigger selling point now more than ever before.) But a couple weeks later...
(This is the good part)
"On January 1, 2012, the California Transparency in Supply Chain Act will go into effect in California. This act requires retail sellers and manufacturers doing business in the state to disclose the efforts they are making to ensure their supply chains are free from slavery and human trafficking in effort to eradicate slavery and human trafficking from product supply chains.

Bare Escentuals is committed to being responsible in its global business practices and takes steps with its vendors and suppliers to ensure compliance with Bare Escentuals standards of conduct as set forth in the Vendor Compliance Manual and all applicable laws. Bare Escentuals has made the following efforts to ensure compliance by its partners..."


...and they go on about how they are addressing the specific aspects of the Transparency in Supply Chain Act. So cool! I am still learning about all this but this was so amazing to watch happen. It currently takes a little extra effort to find this document on the Bare Minerals website, but it's there - and there is definitely something beautiful about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.